miércoles, 26 de junio de 2013

Don't Like KDE's Cashew? An Unchalant Way to Take it out of Your Sight!

For some people, KDE 4 is so full of features that is becomes confusing.  Among the new features missing in KDE 3 that KDE 4 brought, one that seems to be criticized a lot is the desktop cashew.  Yes, that little yellow thing on your upper right corner of your screen: 

Currently, this cashew includes text so that users may spot it more easily:


Some people dislike it because it sits on your desktop and they want perfectly clean desktops.  Others criticize it because it makes messing things with your desktop much easier.  You see, even if you lock your graphic components, any unsuspecting user can easily unlock them from this cashew...and believe me, they will!

Still, others dislike KDE's cashew simply because it's hard to get rid of it.  It will be there, all the time, watching over you and reminding you that there are still plenty of KDE features you ignore!

 But that's not entirely true.  There is a plasmoid especially designed to hide this life-threatening desktop element: Py-cashew!

Unfortunately, Py-cashew did not work for me when I tested it.  Thus, I had to learn how to coexist with KDE's "Evil Eye."  It's not that bad, really!  After a couple of months, you stop noticing it and you don't realize it's there...

That's what I thought, at least.

However, some days ago, I suddenly realized that one of my four virtual desktops was missing its cashew! Unbelievable!

What happened?  True, I was messing with my desktop, but I didn't do anything to the obnoxious cashew!  At least that was what I thought...

The answer hit me when I later rotated the desktop cube:

There you have it!  I had accidentally dragged my cashew to the lower part of my screen and I had hid it behind my panel!

That means that if you despise the sight of KDE's humble and useful cashew, you may:
1. Open your panel options and choose "autohide."
2. Drag the cashew to the lower right corner of your screen.
3. Open your panel options again and choose "always visible."
4. Lock your graphic elements.

That's it!  You won't see it again!  An unchalant method to take it out of your sight!

But believe me, there will come a time in which you will miss your cashew! We all do!



1 comentario:

  1. I think I once read about how to remove the cashew the KDE way...but since it does not bother me, I don't remember.

    However, your way is interesting because it is more like hiding it, not getting rid of it.

    ResponderEliminar