sábado, 14 de mayo de 2016

Partition Woes

Some days ago, while I was playing Steam games on my gaming partition, I noticed that my system (Pardus 2.0) started misbehaving.

I don't blame Pardus.  After all, I had done lots of risky updates in the past (I even went from Pardus 2013 to Pardus 2.0 a la rolling release style.  Of course, that move made my system a bit unstable but it was perfectly usable.)

However, last week, Pardus threw a weird error and refused to start.  I tried to run fsck to no avail. I guess that was because of my Frankenstein system. That meant that I couldn't access all my Steam games and my other local games.

Since I did not know how to repair that broken system, I went the easy way: formatted the partition.

Then, I tried Pardus 3.0.  Unfortunately, it was ridiculously slow to boot and to turn off (due to a pending process at start that was also present when I moved from 2013 to 2.0 but that I had forgotten how to repair.)

Thus, I started to look for other options.  I wanted to settle for Mageia, but upon installing, it would ask me for an UEFI partition I didn't have and which I didn't want to create.

Finally, I decided to try MX-15.  I was reluctant to do it because I had tried the game Never Alone on MX-14 and it didn't work.  I was pleased to see that my testing MX-15 system ran the game smoothly.  It was time to install MX-15 on my gaming partition then.

But alas!  The installer showed me a warning that my partition had some problems. The system would install fine, but I was told to expect errors more often in time.

Well, I guess that can't be helped.  The good part is that I use that partition only for gaming and losing all my progress will not make me lose my sleep.  After all, I am a terrible gamer and I have already finished the games I was hooked into (Violett, Nihilumbra, Finding Teddy, Detective Grimoire).  Too bad for my long way in Limbo, Incredipede, The Bard's Tale, Never Alone, This War of Mine, etc. But I don't mind to start those games over again.  Actually, it sounds kind of fun.)

I am happy I have a multiboot computer. Also, I am happy I use Linux: you can try as many distros as you want and installing them is fast.

1 comentario:

  1. I am glad that you can play. Too bad Mageia asked you for that UEFI partition... I have never seen Mageia do that before.

    ResponderEliminar