viernes, 15 de diciembre de 2017

MX-17 Horizon Is Here!!!

I installed MX-17 (Horizon) today and, in fact, I'm using it to post this entry.

The installation process was simple and quick.  I did notice that the icons became flat, following the new trends...

Interestingly, after installing, some updates popped up and I applied them right away.  Then, I did notice that I could not unmount the live USB and that my other partitions were out of reach.  Of course, one of the updates was MX-system.  I could not turn the system off and had to do a hard reboot.

I had no problems with GRUB.  All my other partitions were there, by the way.

Upon logging in again, the problems I had were gone.  ^__^

Then, I realized I had no sound.  Well, that has been pretty consistent with every distro I install on this old 32-bit system (by the way, thanks to the devs for still giving us a 32-bit distro!), thus I knew what to do:  opening a terminal and typing "alsamixer" to uncheck the "auto-mute" option.  That gave me sound.

But then, I realized that YouTube videos were soundless, too.  After a short fiddling with the mixer settings, I enabled sound on YouTube.  No big deal, really.

So far, those are the only issues I've seen.  Actually, I'm impressed by the big amount of improvements and new tools they've added.  MX-17 seems to follow the path of great performance and constant improvement that has characterized it from the start.  I'm eager to test it in more demanding environments.  

7 comentarios:

  1. Mmm. It sounds promising. What about printing/scanning?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I need to check that, among other things.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Es una excelente distribución, la he dejado despues de probarla por varios meses como Sistema Operativo principal. Aquí una reseña:
    https://lapaginadegerman.site123.me/gnu-linux/mx-linux-17-una-distribuci%C3%B3n-de-linux-f%C3%A1cil-de-usar-para-todos

    ResponderEliminar
  4. @Armonía Salud y Vida: ¡Gracias por el comentario y por la reseña! Saludos cordiales.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Printing and scanning was working fine with MX16, I expect it to work well now too, but something strange did happen when I installed the 32 bit MX17 on an external USB drive: during the installation, it said it would boot resuming from my desktop's main drive (where I have a 84 bit Kubuntu 17.10). After failing to reboot, the root file system would be corrupted (sometimes it was recoverable, but mostly not).

    Is this happening because the 32 bit MX tries to resume from a 64 bit system?

    I'll test again trying to avoid having any resume files visible to MX.

    besides that, I find MX a very solid and balanced distro....highly recommendable, and a very likely candidate to now reside on my old 2006 32 bit-only laptop.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. @Peter,
    That is surely a strange issue. I haven't tried the 32 bit version, but I'll keep my eyes open when I do. Thanks for letting me know about it.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Thanks...As soon as I have some free time I'll repeat the installation after making sure the internal HD isn't using a hibernation file. I'll post the results.

    ResponderEliminar